Sisters of St. Joseph of the Apparition - Welcome to Loreto Convent School - Chembur, Mumbai

Search
Go to content

Main menu:

Sisters of St. Joseph of the Apparition

About Us
St. Emilie de Vialar
St. Emilie de Vialar

Sisters of St. Joseph of the Apparition is a Roman Catholic religious order of women, ministering throughout the world.

This missionary religious congregation of Pontifical Right, was founded on the 25th December, 1832 at Gaillac, France by St. Emilie de Vialar, grand daughter of Baron de Portal, physician to both kings Louis Philippe and Charles X. She was canonized by Pope Pius XII, 24th June in 1951.

The name of the Institute calls to mind the mystery of the incarnation as revealed to St. Joseph, according to Mathew 1:20-21. The name reminds the Congregation of that which the foundress wanted it to become: "By vocation, a living sign today of the love of God, which has become incarnate and which reaches men through human actions.” (Constitution Art 4)

St. Emilie Governed the Institute for twenty four years and during her life time opened forty two houses spread across nineteen countries.

The Loreto Convent School in Mumbai was managed by the Loreto Sisters for thirty years. When they decided to give it up, the Sisters of St. Joseph responded positively to take up this school. The Loreto Sisters who managed the school for the RCF employee's children (also local Catholic Community, and to extent possible, members of all other Communities) introduced the Sisters of St. Joseph to RCF Management.

The RCF had first signed a ten year contract with the congregation of St. Joseph and in June 2000 the Sisters of St. Joseph at the request of the RCF and with the invitation of the Archbishop of Mumbai, Cardinal Ivan Dias, took over the management of the school at Chembur.

The Sisters have done a great job in upgrading the school and have introduced many other activities for the children. The Sisters are fully involved in the pastoral ministry of the parish too. Starting from academic year 2010-11, the Kinder Garten has been renamed to "St. Joseph of the Apparition".

 
Back to content | Back to main menu